Tuesday, March 3, 2015

On Stage! Keeping Up Appearances



This Thursday March 5th, we have previews for the latest show I'm in, Keeping Up Appearances.  The main run begins Friday March 6th and we go until Sunday March 15th.


The famous BBC television show is based on this original play.  I play Onslow, the brother-in-law of the main character Hyacinth Bucket. 

I've had a great learning experience working with a completely new cast.   The theater is part of a gorgeous Presbyterian Church on 5th avenue and is being produced by the fellowship associated with the Church.

I was asked to come in an audition by the director Johnny Culver.  I've worked with Johnny a few times over the last few years, first by being in his Piney Forks Theater Festival, and again last year by  acting in a one act he directed, which was performed in The Secret Theater in Long Island City, Queens.

Johnny asked me about my Cockney accent.  I said it needs work.  Then Johnny replied, that's ok do the audition in Liverpudlian.  

So, I went in and did my best Ringo Starr impersonation and won the part.  

Since I look nothing like the TV actor who made the part famous, our original idea was to have the character be completely different, still a working class bloke, but this time skinnier and from further out away from the London suburbs, namely Liverpool.  A bit of a mix between Ringo and the character Nick Cage played in Raising Arizona.

I began to work on my character and accent, while simultaneously attending rehearsals, and then performing in the latest show I was in, Women of the Wind.  

The actress Zoe Anastassiou, a castmate in WotW who went to high school in London, worked with me on perfecting my accent.  After a few rough weeks, my accent and character development got to the point where I was dreaming of Ringo Starr malapropisms, and thinking I could cover the voices in the movie The Yellow Submarine. 

With only two weeks until the show, I was asked to drop the Liverpudlian accent and learn Cockney instead.  

Again, I worked with Zoe to try to change the character and the accent completely.  Cockney took me a much longer time to hear or get the feel for than other accents.  For the longest time I was left trying to do Michael Caine impersonations, or even some of the characters from Sexy Beast.  

I watched the clips of Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon doing their impersonations of Michael Caine in the movie The Trip, in an attempt to get the rhythm, feel, and body movement for the new accent, without falling into My Fair Lady or Mary Poppins territory.  

I think I've made everyone around me crazy, first by speaking like Ringo incessantly and then Michael Caine.  Yes, I've been that guy.  So I feel pretty good about where the character is (along with the facial hair!) and would love for everyone to come out for a few guaranteed laughs.  Also, if Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon need another actor for their next trip movie, I'm available.  

I've included some snap shots of the rehearsal process and theater following the links below, as a teaser. Due to their rules, I'm not allowed to post pics of us rehearsing.   So, I've added shots of the church, which is gorgeous, and of my perspective of the line throughs and of being on stage.  However, this should just give you more incentive to see the finished product! (Or join me at Mudd for a coffee!)

Here's a link to blurb in Playbill:


Here's the link to their FaceBook event page:

https://www.facebook.com/events/347452865458636

The information and description on their site is as follows:

Keeping Up Appearances coming to FAPC!

The Theatre Fellowship of Fifth Avenue Presbyterian Church has started rehearsals on their latest Equity Showcase production. 

"Keeping Up Appearances" is the U.S. premiere of a hilarious comedy based on the fan-favorite BBC/PBS hit British sitcom. Written by series creator Roy Clarke, the play features the lovably incorrigible snob Hyacinth Bucket ("It's pronounced bouquet!") and many of the show's other beloved eccentrics, as Hyacinth bedevils her long-suffering family and friends while they attempt to stage a play in a church hall much like our own. Hyacinth believes (wrongly) she's the main attraction, and will the theater be able to survive her wacky antics? See for yourself. 

Performances:
Friday - Saturday, March 6 - 7 at 7:00pm
Sunday, March 8 at 2:00pm
Tuesday - Saturday, March 10-14 at 7:00pm
Sunday, March 15 at 2:00pm

Tickets are $18 and will be sold at church after Sunday services and are available online at smarttix.com. Tickets will also be sold at the box office an hour before performances, if available.














1 comment: