Friday, September 25, 2015

On Set! The Jig is up Mister Bones



On Thursday September 10, I acted in A. Van Jordan's short film "The Jig Is Up, Mr. Bones." 
I play one half of an old style vaudevillian act.  The story centers around an actor who has a crisis of faith during the final dress rehearsal for a show.

I was approached by Van earlier in the summer, to play the role of Henry.  My friend and partner at Fictional Films, Places Please, etc., works with Van at Rutgers Newark and they are both apart of the MFA program in film at the Vermont School of the Arts.  Rodney forwarded my resume to Van at the start of his pre-production.  

Originally, we were trying to shoot in beginning of July, but due to scheduling and logistics we rescheduled for August, and then once more for September.  

Van is an acclaimed poet and professor of creative writing at Rutgers University in Newark.  

I'd love to expound on Van's credentials, but there's an article from Rutgers that does a much a better job that is linked here:


After reading an early draft, I was excited to be apart of the project.  The script was one of the best and most original shorts that I've had the opportunity to participate.  The foundation of all movies are the scripts, and this foundation of this short is extremely solid.  I believe that the controversial nature of the work will hold broad appeal to film festivals and audiences that like to be challenged.  

I don't want to do a disservice to the work by getting too in depth as to the themes or to reveal the crux of the story before the release, but the short touches on cultural appropriation, racism, violence and identity.  The act that we're supposed to be performing is loosely based off of "Pigmeat" Markham's Mister Bones.  Looking back on the clips of his act, the talent and humor of Markham is apparent, but some of the bits are very offensive to current day sensibilities.  Yet, the short explores how many of those sensibilities have actually changed or if the cover is hiding something more sinister.  

Most the pics I won't post.  I don't want some of the images taken out of context.  However, here's some behind the scene snaps.  

My co-star is the great Dion Graham.  Dion is a great character actor and you might recognize him from season 5 of the wire and from a recent stint on Madame Secretary.  

Dion and I bonded very quickly, mostly over the start of the new football season.  I won't hold being a Bengals fan against him and he agreed that he should be a Steelers fan (not exactly true).  

We filmed at Bradley Hall on the campus of Rutgers Newark.  I'm very familiar with the building and the theater.  Not only have I seen a few shows there, but also an episode of Places Please was filmed there.  

The shooting day was very long and intense, but luckily the people were very professional and worked well under difficult circumstances.  The shots that I did see were beautiful.  

I'm grateful for the opportunity to act in something cutting edge, with great actors, and to be surrounded by a professional crew.  I just really enjoyed the whole day and process.  I 

I'll post more information when it becomes available.  



Dion and I before the make up is applied.


A quick snap in the dressing room scene




Looking over at the assitant director, Rodney Reyes.


A sneak over my shoulder to see the camera and crew

No comments:

Post a Comment