Saturday, November 3, 2012

365 11/3


Yesterday, I went back to my apartment to get some clean clothes.  Between the transformer blowing and flooding, my neighborhood, Alphabet City, was hit hard by the hurricane Sandy on Monday night.  I spent the rest of the week staying on a friend's couch on the Upper East Side.  

The city was truly divided, not just between those that had power and those that didn't, but also between those that were surviving the after effects of the worst storm in a century and those that saw the storm as an inconvenience to their life.  

As I wandering my neighborhood in the chilly air, many people were out on the streets, cleaning, talking, just not being inside.  Being trapped in an apartment at night with only candle light becomes very tedious after awhile.  

I walked down East third street to see if there was any damage.  I came upon a group of 'neighborhood' guys standing in a circle outside one of the local projects, laughing loudly and being very demonstrative. As I got closer, I saw a guy giving haircuts to someone sitting on a stool while the others waited for their turn.  

The clippers were hooked up to the car's battery.  The barber was holding court outside as if he was inside his shop.  The guys laughed really hard.  One of them said, "You know, hurricane Sandy or not, I got to keep my shit tight!"

No comments:

Post a Comment