Tuesday, October 18, 2016

On Set! Rhonda Mitchell, MD!



On Sunday afternoon I shot a guest starring role on the web series "Rhonda Mitchell, MD."  


"Rhonda Mitchell, MD" was created by Carolyn Pierre.  My long time friend, Steven Williams, was working on set as a production assistant and recommended me for the job.

I've worked with Steven in several plays, shows and video projects through the years.  

Also, Steven is the creator and performer of the character Miss Bomba Claudie, a sort of irreverent and in your face Jamaican rendition on classic characters done in drag, like Medea.  If you haven't seen or heard of Miss Bomba Claudie before, I suggest you link to his web series on Youtube here:


or follow his Facebook page here:


"Rhonda Mitchell, MD" is a web series about a young doctor who ends up working at her father's clinic in Harlem.  In a humorous fashion, the series highlights Dr. Mitchell's personality flaws while trying to give back to an underserved community.  

My character is part of flashback to Dr. Mitchell's life before the clinic.  I play the director of a clinic that ends up having to fire her.  

I arrived on set which was in an actual health clinic in Harlem late Sunday afternoon.  The cast and crew had already been shooting all day, knocking out most of the first episode. 

I was sent up to holding, a spacious break room  in the clinic, for makeup and hair.  Already, the cast and crew seemed comfortable working with each other after a long day.  I was the new guy coming onto a set that had settled into a groove.  The other actors in holding were very friendly and made me immediately feel apart of the team.  

As with any shooting schedule, I was sent through the paces so I could hurry up and wait!  After I was made film ready, I walked around the clinic and checked out the location and set ups.  The crew had a video assist set up so everyone could see what was being filmed.  Ultimately I went back to holding to learn my lines.  

After a few hours, I was able to meet my co-star, Jowanda Durham and run our lines.  Our scene was going to be the last scene of the day.  The director, Roderick Giles, came to holding and rehearsed our scene with us, letting us know what he was looking for and guiding us into the direction of how he wanted the scene shot.  

Then we went to the location, an administrative office and set up the lighting and camera angles.  

We did a couple takes where I was the focus of the shot, and then the shot was flipped for Jowanda with a couple more takes.  Then a couple of more shots to focus on the action of the scene.  

And that was the day for me, a very relaxing and fun afternoon.  

I'm excited to see how the final product ends up and when I'm able to get a copy or a link, I'll post to the blog.



Waiting as the crew sets up the lighting for the scene.


In wardrobe with Jowanda.


Not this many smiles in our scene


Pic 1 for continuity


Pic 2 for continuity



Coming out of make up.


A large and comfortable holding area.



Make up set around a foos ball table.


Gathered around the video assist


Cast and crew watching the filming in the waiting room

No comments:

Post a Comment