Monday, November 14, 2016

Dispatches From The Great Regression (11/9/2016)





Dispatches from the Great Regression


   I woke early on the morning of November 9, 2016, and just stared at the ceiling. I had fallen asleep trying to comprehend the surprise consequences of the months of ugliness I had been watching, hoping to find some humanity in the bleakness. Maybe the night before was just an incredible nightmare. No, all too real. The world had really changed.  I felt as if I was inside the third chapter of a Cormac McCarthy novel. "Is this the new dystopian reality?

   Last night the votes had rolled in from west of the Hudson, west of the Delaware, from the great midsection of the country. I have heritage there, I have family there, people I love are there. I thought I knew those people. How could they vote that way? How could they be conned so badly? Now they seemed so far away, both by land and by belief. I felt so disconnected from them. In a way, I was never more grateful to be in NYC.

   Amanda lay next to me, awake but unwilling to rise. She had cried late into the night, and again this morning. Her nightmare became all too real. She was terrified for her Mother & Sister. They had come to the United States from Ecuador, not for work, but to seek better services and opportunities for her autistic sister. Developmental help, education and adult services didn't exist in Ecuador.  Amanda's Mother had sacrificed connections to family and friends, left her native customs and culture, and come to a giant city in a strange land. She worked unfathomable hours at demanding menial jobs to support her daughters. Despite Byzantine bureaucracies, and decades of service cutbacks, New York City still provided the best services and opportunities for Amanda's Sister. They entered the US legally, but had stayed after the expiration of the visa. They just couldn't take her Sister to Ecuador. So for years they lived at the edge of society, with the daily fear of the knock at the door and deportation back to Ecuador. Now, they've watched in terror as a demagogue had arisen preaching suspicion, degradation, hate, and mass deportation. And they watched emboldened supporters shout racist, xenophobic, hateful and threatening words. These people had no concern for the family's dedication and sacrifice. Amanda's tears weren't for a political loss. She cried from the fear of sudden and heartless deportation.

   I was raised as a child of the Enlightenment. I was brought up with the inherent belief that humanity is creative and valuable. I was taught to value ideas, learning, reason and science. I was taught that positive change is possible, to be hopeful and optimistic even in the darkest of times. That cynicism and nihilism are obstacles to be overcome, not embraced. My family was blue-collar working class stock, and I was taught the dignity and honor of hard work, and the dignity of the human struggle. We live in a pluralistic society and people differ in region, philosophy, religion, race, class and circumstance. Yet can still agree on values and morals, compassion and empathy, tolerance and decency, and common purpose. But, work needed to be done everyday to better our society and ourselves.


   My thoughts flashed to the German Jewish philosopher, Walter Benjamin at the Hotel de Francis in the town of Portbou, on the night of September 25th, 1940.  After the fall of the Weimar Republic, Benjamin spent most of the 1930s in exile or on the run from the German authorities.  Exhausted, penniless, without hope, and seeing no discernable path for escape from a continent that was no longer willing to protect its minority population, Benjamin surrendered to death. Benjamin's will to live was crushed by his inability to comprehend the depths of cruelty to which his homeland had sank.
   
   Needing coffee and to run errands before work, Amanda and I headed out under gray concrete heavy clouds, unable to weep. The city was eerily quiet. I wondered if this is how people behaved in a city under seize.


   I recalled seeing 12th century tapestries at the Metropolitan Museum. They depicted the city of Jericho as religious zealots brought down the walls of the impenetrable city, while God told the protagonists they had the moral authority to slaughter every man, woman and child within the walls.
   I think of the siege of the Phoenician port city, Tyre.  The city’s natural defense of sea walls caused Alexander the Great to engineer a mole, a natural bridge, from the mainland to attack the city from the land.  Out of anger and frustration that Tyre wasn’t an easy city to conquer, Alexander raised the city, crucified the captured soldiers and sold the rest of its population into slavery.
   Then I’m reminded of the siege of another Phoenician port city, Carthage.  The citizens of Carthage attempted to hold out against the invading Roman army by turning their city into a fortress.  The young Roman General Scipio Aemilianus having visions of ancient Troy, blockaded the harbor, broke through the city’s walls and out of spite for Carthage’s insolence raised the city and sold any survivors into slavery.


   Maybe I exaggerate and New York City isn't a city under siege. But I sense an intellectual and political divide that is now manifest across the country.

   Was the Hudson River the barrier of my protection, or my walls of Jericho sealing me into a prison?  Were the new barricades set up on the banks of the Hudson like the fortifications of Tyre?  Or does that line begin on the riverside of the Delaware?


   Or is the Hudson now the river Spree that rolls through my own Berlin while I wake up on January 31st, 1933; or I’m in Rome November 1st, 1922 and I’m staring at the Fiume; maybe, Madrid January 31st, 1938 and I watch my ideals swept away by the Rio Jarama.
   I think of West Berlin on August 14th, 1962, the citizens woke to what was once an ideological separation through quiet terror was now manifest visible by walls surrounding the city, the Spree indifferent to the divide.


   Running errands, I take cover in the comfort of my routine. I want nothing to do with anything remotely current: no television, no updates, no electronic headlines.  I want no reminders of Twentieth century despots, the merchants of fear and death. I needed peace.  I needed relief.
   
   Back in the apartment, Amanda has the TV on in the background while she gets ready for a work trip.  The pundits and pollsters, the journalists, who were encased in their own NYC/ DC capsule, had completely missed the red state revolution, and try to explain their errors.

   In attempting to hide their commitments to powers beyond their own conscious, the press now speaks about how to be graceful and conciliatory. 

   I am unable to comprehend how to be conciliatory to hate, bigotry, misogyny, racism and disrespect. To be conciliatory means to be yielding, and to find common ground.  I have nothing in common with people that voted for and follow this man. Hearing people on TV saying, now is the time for Americans to come together, all I can think is, "I will not appease hate."

   I am speechless, and I'm feeling powerless.

   I was raised to respect competency, skill and accomplishment. "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well."

   And yet, here is a man who has driven every business he’s ever had into the ground.

   He is a man who pillaged a mostly minority city already suffering and down on its luck.  Only one man took, while the rest of the city was left to destitution.

   I was raised to value honesty and integrity.

   Here is a man who came close to committing treason on national TV, twice.

   I see a man who doesn’t think about human rights.  In fact he’s advocated torture and to expanding the power of special prosecution beyond even a special court.

   I see a man who doesn’t think of the environment or basic kindness or empathy or intelligence.

   I don’t believe that he’s evil.  I believe that he’s all Id, all chaos.  He is nihilism in the flesh. To be evil you have to be smart.  To be evil you have to have introspection, an agenda and plans. 

   Not only has he shown no discernable plans other than hate and revenge, he has demonstrated a severe lack of impulse control. 


   I’m reminded of a documentary I recently saw about the televised debates during the 1968 conventions between William Buckley, the intellectual founder of the conservative movement, and Gore Vidal, a self proclaimed liberal elitist.  By the end of the debates, Vidal had Buckley completely backed into an intellectual corner, uncomfortable and unable to form coherent thoughts.  Vidal had very clinically exposed Buckley’s beliefs as hatred disguised as policy.  Buckley’s only response was slurs and the threatening of violence.  In reflection Buckley’s implosion achieved the end result of the conservative movement forty-eight years before the rest of his party. 

   At one point at a rally He said that not only was the election rigged, but also there were people who controlled the media who were promoting an agenda and quote, “you know what I mean, you know what I’m saying.”  A phrase that blatantly appeals to the anti-Semitic mythology that Jews not only run the media, but the banks and the world.


   Looking north up the island of Manhattan, I was reminded of the America First Committee of the late 1930s and early 40s.  Lead by prominent businessmen and conservative political leaders, the AFC promoted non-intervention in European conflicts, German advocacy along with dissemination of anti-Semitic beliefs.   At a rally in Madison Square Garden, American hero Charles Lindbergh gave a speech in front of large unfurled swastika flags while Nazi flags waved in the crowd, that stressed a commonality with Germany, racist beliefs and anti-Semitic theories.  Any protest in the crowd were met with booing, forced exits and finally fists.  I think of the summer of 1941 and I think of the summer of 2016.


   I know and love people who were targets of this man's invectives and are now targets of his followers and minions. I think of all the Hispanic families in my neighborhood.  For years, I was told this area was a no man’s land.  And yes, there was poverty and struggle and the elements that encompass hardships.  However, I saw people working, struggling, trying to help their families, their street, their neighbors.  They are real people, with both strengths and imperfections.

   I think of the guys I know at the local barbershop. On Friday nights, young and old congregate to talk, listen to loud music, dance and have animated discussions.

   When Sandy hit, my neighborhood was flooded and without power for almost a week. Those same guys protected their neighborhood and made sure there was no looting or crime on the street.  They hung outside and gave haircuts from the back of their cars and SUVs.  We talked and laughed about the neighborhood having no power. They were invested in the area and it meant something that the families, their families and the older women in the neighborhood affectionately called Abuelas (Spanish for grandmother) were safe.

   I had no need to ask them if they were illegal or if they were taking my jobs, or if they were making our neighborhood less great. 

   When I moved in they had accepted me into their community. I wore my Pittsburgh Pirates, Roberto Clemente jersey without realizing I was moving in across from the Roberto Clemente elementary school or that Clemente was the patron saint of the neighborhood. 

   I was taken aback by how friendly my new neighbors were.

   I think of all the people in my life who are gay and have given me nothing but support and unconditional love and friendship. When I came to NYC I worked hard and carefully to find friends and build solid relationships.  Finding good people, people that appreciated me and that I could be comfortable with, laugh with, was an arduous process.  By the time I was able to establish a safe network of support, their sexuality mattered very little to our friendships. 

   I have no concept of why people would hate, fear, despise another because of their sexuality, why people would think that someone else’s sexuality effects them, or even to deny them the same rights and privileges as any other human.

   I think of all the women in my life that I have ever loved.

   I think of my mother who taught me that feminism is equality, equal pay, equal benefits, equal criticism, for equal work

   I think of my grandmothers’ capacity for love and nurturing.  I think of my mother’s mother and her unwavering belief in hope and in people.  I think of all that was denied to them as circumstance of the era in which they were born and all that they were able to accomplish in its spite.

   I think of all the Muslims that I’ve met in my schooling, travels around the world, and meeting in the city.  I think of them wishing me nothing but peace. 


   I remember being 19 and visiting my best friend in college, Omar and his family. Omar’s father was Palestinian and an ambassador. I sat at their dinner table as Omar’s father explained to me that peace only begins when you’re able to sit across from someone and acknowledge each other’s humanity.

   I think of all the Hindis who opened up their families to me that showed me love, support and kindness and blessed my soul.  That in spite of being immigrants to a strange land, and facing their own challenges of racism and bigotry, I was welcomed into a large cultural family where I addressed my elders as Aunt and Uncle. 

   I think of all the poor that work 50 hours a week at the Wal-Mart and still need food stamps and welfare so that one family and their shareholders can maximize their profits. 

   I think of the guys in the kitchens that I worked, who worked twice as hard for half the pay, only to send half of that to their families back home.   The Mexicans, the Pakistanis, and the Bangladeshis, who worked side by side, only to go live in Stalag 17 type barracks in neighborhoods where even Angels from Heaven would fear to enter.

   
   Amanda left for her trip and before she leaves, I promise that one man can’t destroy the structural systems that our society relies on to exist all at once.  I say it aloud for her sake as much as mine.  

   Then I’m left with my thoughts and the visions of people that I know, that I have loved and that have shown me kindness in my life. 
I drift back to the people in my neighborhood, the people in my city, the people with whom I am now living under siege. 

   I know people that voted for the Trump in this election.  I even love some of those people.

   I doubt they are struggling with their decisions as much as I am struggling with their decision.  I wonder how we can be so diametrically opposite in our positions.

   On my block is a half –way house for older adults that are incapable of living on their own.  One of their members is an older black man named Alex who sits on the stairs out front the building.  He is there every day living on the fringes of society by the graces of society.  Every time I walk by, Alex says hi and shakes my hand.  His face says more about the struggles in his life then he is able to verbalize.

   I wonder when the last time someone who voted for Him has spoken to a person in their neighborhood whose life experience is wildly different from theirs?

   Or the last time they interacted with someone who has debilitating mental incapacities?

   Or even, the last time they talked openly to a woman who was violated and victimized simply because she’s a woman?

   Or when they vacation at the beach or in a tropical island they worried about the acidification of the oceans?

   I bristle when a response is offered that “all politicians are corrupt” as a dismissive, shallow and self-serving.  I’m stunned by the professed ignorance of the basic mechanics of how representative democracy works. 

   I’m bewildered by the lack of care or empathy for how tax dollars are spent; to make sure that kids can read and count; to make sure that bridges don’t collapse; so that the old don’t starve; so that if a woman isn’t ready to have a baby she isn’t forced to continue an unwanted pregnancy.  I believe that something has to be said for self-awareness of the inability or desire to be responsible for another life.

   And if people that voted for Him are so concerned about change why did they elect the same congress? 

   That morning I was in line at the local Key Food buying a loaf of bread.  There was an older black woman working the check out counter and I asked her how she was.

   She looked at me with a faint smile and said she was tired because she was up all night watching the results.

   I replied, “I know. Me, too.”

   She stopped and looked me right in the eyes.  “This guy has been a racist asshole for 40 years in NYC.  And now people have elected Him president.”

   I looked right back and stated, “Yes, I know.  He’s horrible.  It’s horrible.”

   After a beat I continued, “All we can do is persevere,” then, “and trust love.”

   Big tears welled up in her eyes, which made my eyes water. 

   She never stopped looking at me.  “Yes, we need to trust love.”


   I was home, alone and lost in thought.  As usual, I called my father to hear his thoughts and perspective. 

   I said my piece.  I felt like New York City was my home, my city, my refuge and now my prison.  I hope that my neighborhood provides better comfort than the walls of Jericho. 

   He said, that the country has endured many things: The Civil War, The Great Depression, The Great Recession and now we face “The Great Regression.” 

   Later in the afternoon, the concrete sky started to crack and the rain finally began to fall in large purposeful drops as I headed off to work.  

No comments:

Post a Comment