Friday, September 29, 2017

On Set! "Unspoken Heart" Feature Length Film - Shooting Day 3!


Last Sunday was the third shooting day for Daryl Denner's "Unspoken Heart" produced by Fictional Films.
The blog post to the first two shooting days can be found here:

Originally, the schedule for shooting day 3 was on Saturday.  However, the prospect of poor weather forced a change to Sunday.  Although the rain held off on Saturday, the late Summer humidity was brutal, a factor that contributed to Sunday's shooting.  

The intent was to cover three scenes during day light hours, in Astoria Park, along the Queens side of the East River.  The park is wrapped around the footprints of the Robert F. Kennedy bridge and the Hell Gate bridge, both connecting Queens to Randall's Island.  

Depending on the time of day, the light on the bridges combined with the Manhattan skyline in the distance can create some very dramatic shots.  Previously, the park was used as a location for both the park scene on shooting day 1, and also for the mock up of the movie poster.  

In the morning, the first scene to shoot was with my co-star Brian Pollack.  The scene focuses on our easy going friendship as we finish a run.  

I was the last one to arrive on set.  The crew arrived about an hour earlier to set up the equipment and prepare the shots.  Taking the subway around the city is no longer an easy trip, especially on the weekends.  Even factoring delays, I waited far longer than expected for the train at Union Square.  

Although disappointed in being late, the plus side was that after a quick change and a review of the lines with Brian, we were ready to shoot.  

The morning was still cool and a slight haze was rolling off the East River.  The park was already busy and the track was filled with early risers fitting in their Sunday morning workouts.  

The shots went by very quickly as Brian and I breezily fell into our characters.  Brian and I did our best to find different levels within the scene and to give something with which to work while editing during post.  Overall, the morning was great scene work, while actually working! 

One of the reasons I enjoy doing small independent films is that being on set can feel as if we are connected to a team.  Everyone has a job to do, and trusts each other to do that job.  Although that connected feeling doesn't always happen on every set, or everyday, or even every scene, when those moments happen I feel far more free and comfortable to perform.  Of course the trick to acting is to learn how to find that freedom and comfortableness when conditions are less than ideal.  

The shots were finished and the first scene was done well before noon.  The crew packed up and went north to Ralph Demarco Park, an extension of Astoria Park.  The rest of the day's scenes were going to be shot there.  

Unfortunately, concurrently at this time, the sun came out and burned off the fog from the river and the temperatures and humidity began to rise.  I switched into clothes for the next seen and sought out shelter from direct sunlight, but there was no where to hide from the humidity.  

To add to the discomfort, I had an allergic reaction the previous morning that wiped me out for most of the day.  By Sunday morning I thought I had completely recovered, but when the temperatures increased, I realized my stamina wasn't at the highest level.  

In the pics I see some paleness and a bit bloated, probably still from my body recovering.  Hopefully that won't be too noticeable after the scenes are edited together.  

Frances arrived at 1.30 and we quickly filmed Brian's scenes since he had a rigid out time. 

Leading up to the shooting day, Daryl and Rodney reviewed the script for the second scene to be shot.  Last second changes were made to accommodate the new ideas.  The changes lead to a freer interpretation of the script while shooting, a feeling similar to improvisation.   For Daryl, the visuals of the scene were more important that nailing the script.  I enjoyed the challenge of letting go of the dialogue while still focused on the story and characters.  I find the experience similar to being on stage, a great exercise for concentration.  

After Brian left, the remaining shots focused on close ups and various angles of Frances and me.  After every take, I tried to either roll off the blanket to hide from the sun, or asked one of the crew members to use a bounce board to shield me from direct sunlight.  Nothing could be done about the humidity! 

A local 'personality' decided to sit on end of the bench that the crew had commandeered for our equipment.  I had very little interaction with her, since I was in front of the camera for most of the afternoon.  However, from the stories I heard, she was very talkative and friendly, and stayed for almost 4 hours!  Nothing like shooting on an open set in New York City.  

We broke for a late lunch, and hid in the shade.  Our new friend decided to leave at that point.  I'm not sure if she wanted a slice of pizza.  

The sun began to finally set as we finished up the shot list for the second scene.  Frances, left and I remained with the crew to do the last scene on my own, a fairly simple and direct shot of me on the phone.  

From screen grabs that I've been shown, the shots of the last scene came out great.  I'm leaning over the banister, with the sunsetting behind Manhattan.  

The long day finished, we cleaned up our areas, double checking to make sure we had all of our equipment.  I went back to the subway to take the long ride back to Manhattan.  

Our next big shooting day is a weekend and over night shoot in October.  



Trying to breath.  Hell Gate in the background.  A hundred year old bridge now used by Amtrak.


In between shots, taking direction from Daryl.


Listening intently.. and trying not to get fried but he sun.


Humidity does wonderful things to hair. 


In between shots.


Going over the new script


Daryl watching the scene


Yelling at Frances and me, or what passes for Daryl yelling


Our sound guy, Luiz in between shots.


Rodney and Daryl looking over a shot.


Watching the scene unfold


At this point, Frances and I were on the other side of the park.


Watching closely.


Out in the Sun, Rodney trying to see the viewfinder.


Rehearsing?  Acting?  Just making personal calls?


In between shots


And... action! 

No comments:

Post a Comment