Tuesday, September 29, 2015

On Set! Parasitik Day 3


Saturday September 26th was our third and final day of shooting the sci-fi short, Parasitik.  
Originally, we had planned the day for just pick-up shots and some retakes for coverage.  However, most of the footage from our adventures during the Bronx shoot turned out to be unusable.  So, Saturday became a complete and total reshooting of all the scenes we had shot in August.

The filmmakers found a larger and more functional warehouse space outside of New Haven, CT.  The acting ensemble returned, adding actress Susan Maisack as Maggs.  

Most of the crew, including myself, had evening obligations.  Therefore, we had to get an early start to get all the shots we needed.  I caught a 5:30am train to New Haven.  The other actors all had similar early starts to be at the location on time, whether it was by train, ferry or car.  The nice thing about having to travel for an early morning shoot is that by the time we all arrived on set we had all been awake for hours.  

Typically for a low budget production, the morning brought a series of unplanned setbacks.  Two of the producers who also act as the crew were unable to attend due to unexpected car trouble and family emergencies.  One of the actor's car battery died.  Luckily he was already on set.  Despite the setbacks, the director, John Anthony, kept the production moving forward, and enlisted help from whomever happened to be around and available.  

Most of my day can be recounted as adventures with Logic.  Logic is the garage's Akita mix guard dog.  Apparently, the dog is highly territorial and protective, however I didn't experience these qualities.  My interactions were of him claiming me and being one of the most affectionate dogs I have ever met.  I would have gladly forgone any pay or future prospects just to take that dog home with me.  

The nice thing about the all the shooting we did in the Bronx was that it served as a great rehearsal for Saturday.  We had already established characters, lines and connections.  Once we started filming, we were able to get through the shots and scenes very quickly.  I was off the set and heading back to NYC by 1:30.  

Stay tuned for more updates.  I know that I'll be going up to CT in November to revisit the filmmakers for a film festival.  Plus, both Jimmy and John have projects lined up in which hopefully I'll be able to participate.  One of the projects is a 'fan' movie that has the potential to be a lot of fun.  

Following are pictures from the morning.  I borrowed several from co-stars Jacqui Born and Anthony Rosas, jr.  


Pre-shoot meeting.  There's Logic. 


Setting up the first shot


Jackie and Susan while out of the shot.


Nico, standing by craft services.  He became our sound guy.


Anthony, acting in between takes.


Watching the crew horse around before their take.


Time to get serious


A moment at craft services


Logic making sure he has my undivided attention.


My new friend


Jessica setting up an entrance shot


Guiding the actors


I see them coming my way


Watching their approach


Setting up the lighting for my two shot with Anthony


They're watching me, I'm watching them


Jessica playing with the orb


Susan, Logic and me


Susan getting ready to shoot


Entering the scene


More from craft services


J & J


Is having a gun in New Haven suspicious? 


Anthony about to lose his mind


From their car ride up from NJ


More Logic


Being very studious climbing out of the SUV


More from craft services


Anthony and Sheldon looking tough


I'm not looking so tough

No comments:

Post a Comment